AOS: Animal communication, Animal learning, Animal consciousness, Animal pain, Philosophical foundations of ethology and comparative psychology, Applications of science to ethics & policy
Research interests: Comparative cognition, History and philosophy of the sciences dealing with animal minds
- Species of Mind: the Philosophy and Biology of Cognitive Ethology. With Marc Bekoff. Cambridge, MA: The MIT Press, 1997.
- “Models, Mechanisms, and Animal Minds.” The Southern Journal of Philosophy 52 (September 1, 2014): 75–97
- “Umwelt or Umwelten? How should shared representation be understood given such diversity?” Semiotica, no. 198 (2014): 137–58.
- “Visual attention in dogs and the evolution of non-verbal communication.” With Alejandra Rossi, Daniel Smedema, and Francisco J. Parada. In Domestic Dog Cognition and Behavior, edited by Alexandra Horowitz, 133–54. Springer, 2014.
- “Ethics, Law, and the Science of Fish Welfare.” Between the Species 16, no. 1 (August 9, 2012), 68-85.
- “Fish Cognition and Consciousness.” Journal of Agricultural and Environmental Ethics 26, no. 1 (February 1, 2013): 25–39.
- “Information and uncertainty in meerkats and monkeys.“ In Animal Communication Theory: Information and Influence, edited by Ulrich E. Stegmann, 319-336. Cambridge University Press, 2014.
AOS: Philosophy of psychology
Research interests: Anthropomorphism, Folk psychology, Methodology in animal cognition research, Moral psychology, Nature and evolution of belief, Psychological explanation, Theories of human uniqueness
- “Apes track false beliefs but might not understand them” Learning and Behavior (2017).
- “The Routledge Handbook of the Philosophy of Animal Minds”, Kristin Andrews and Jacob Beck, eds., Routledge, 2017.
- The Animal Mind. Routledge, 2014.
- Do Apes Read Minds? Toward a New Folk Psychology. MIT Press, 2012.
- “Anthropomorphism, Anthropectomy, and the Null Hypothesis.” With Brian Huss. Biology and Philosophy, forthcoming 2014.
- “Orangutan Pantomime: Elaborating the Message.” With Anne Russon. Biology Letters 7, no. 4 (August 23, 2011): 627–30.
- “Empathy in other apes.” With Lori Gruen. In Empathy in Morality, edited by Heidi Maibom. Oxford University Press, 2014.
- “It’s Like He’s Thinking or Something.” In Planet of the Apes and Philosophy, edited by John Huss. Open Court Books, 2013, 3-14.
- “Great Ape Mindreading: What’s at Stake?” In Humans and Other Animals: Rethinking the Species Interface, edited by Annette Lanjouw and Raymond Corbey. Cambridge University Press, 2013, 115-125.
AOS: Practical ethics, Social and political philosophy
Research interests: Animal ethics, Animal minds, Feminist philosophy
- Entangled Empathy: A New Ethic for our Relationships with Animals (Lantern Press, 2015).
- The Ethics of Captivity. Oxford University Press, 2014.
- “Empathy in other apes.” With Kristin Andrews. In Empathy in Morality, edited by Heidi Maibom. Oxford University Press, 2014.
- “Ethical Issues in African Great Ape Field Studies.” With Amy Fultz and Jill Pruetz. Institute for Laboratory Animal Medicine Journal 54 (1) 2013: 24-32.
- “Captive Kin” In Planet of the Apes and Philosophy, edited by John Huss. Open Court Books, 2013: 167-176.
- “The Moral Status of Animals.”The Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy (Winter 2012 Edition), Edward N. Zalta (ed.).
- “The Morals of Animal Minds.” in The Cognitive Animal, edited by C. Allen, M. Bekoff. & G. Burghardt. Cambridge, MA: MIT Press, 2002.
Membership is free, and members will be informed of upcoming relevant events.
Register now to become a member.